Star LaBranche was born the same year Jem and the Holograms originally premiered on television. A Navy brat, she moved a bit before ending up in Williamsburg, Virginia around 1992. Since then, she has lived all over Hampton Roads. Holding two bachelor’s degrees, one in English literature and one in business management, she also has +5 points on her driver’s license, as of this writing. Star eventually settled in Suffolk in 2020 with her husband and their three cats, Nova, Triton, and Taako.
A lifelong writer, Star finds herself constantly working on some form of poetry or prose or a combination of both. From Monday through Friday she can be found working from home as a technical writer. The rest of the time her whereabouts are a mystery. Well, they will be once the pandemic is over. Right now, she can be found playing with the kitties, doing a bit of tidying up, and watching a home show on Discovery+.
Living with several mental illnesses, including bipolar disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), Star is more fun to talk to than you’d expect. She has previously volunteered as a presenter for NAMI’s In Our Own Voice. She worked to share her own real world experiences and hope for better days to come to others living with mental illness. Her poetry and prose shine an unflinching light on what is going on in her head and how she is coping with it.
Here are some fun facts about Star:
- Her shoe size is 11W and yes, it’s impossible to find shoes that fit
- A psychologist performing a cognitive evaluation on her once described her as fun and engaging
- She is a natural planner, who usually works about 6 months ahead
- Star has lost track of how many times she has attempted graduated school, but estimates about 7 or 8 times
- An English professor once described her as flippant and irresponsible
- She once wrote 54k words in a week, when she wasn’t trying to see how many words she could write in a week